This fuel cost calculator estimates the fuel cost for your car trip by taking account of the distance, on car's gas mileage (mpg) and on fuel price level. Everything there is to know on this topic is explained below the form.
How does this fuel cost calculator work?
This tool has two sections (tabs) designed to handle fuel cost calculation for the two measurements systems (English and Metric). In case of United States system the data that should be provided is expressed in miles, miles per gallon, USD per gallon; while in case of the second metric units the fuel cost calculationconsiders the data provided in kilometers, liters per 100 kilometers, Euro per liter.
It requires you to input the following values:
- An estimation of the trip distance which is the effective distance you are about to drive.
- Gas mileage which is the distance your car allow you to drive with certain fuel usage. It can be expressed either in miles per gallon or in liters per 100 km;
- Fuel price is the cost of one unit of fuel.
Its algorithm return the following calculation results:
- Fuel consumption meaning the total fuel your car will require to allow you travel for the distance given. This value depends on the trip distance and on the gas mileage;
- Total fuel cost meaning the total you have to pay in order to be able travel for the given value. It depends on the fuel price and on the fuel consumption.
This tool may help you budget your car trip properly by helping you simulate how much gas is required to drive a certain distance, with a specific gas mileage ratio and a specific fuel price per unit.
Example of a result:
In case of a calculation in English units let’s assume an individual is trying to figure out how much he will pay on fuel to trip 500 miles, by knowing the that the fuel price is $2.821 per gallon and that the car has a gas mileage of 27, this fuel cost calculator will display the following results:
- Fuel consumption = 18.52 gallons
- Total Fuel Cost = $52.24
In case of a calculation in Metric units let’s assume an individual is trying to figure out how much he will pay on fuel to trip 300 km, by knowing the that the fuel price is $1.4 per liter and that the car has a gas mileage of 6 liters/100 km, the following information will be displayed:
- Fuel consumption = 18.00 liters
- Total Fuel Cost = 25.20€
Few things to consider before or when traveling by car
- In case you have more than a single car, you should choose the right one in terms of gas mileage or in terms of kilometers per 100km.
- Before traveling a considerable distance by car please ensure that your car has gone through regular check-ups.
- Please ensure that you have sufficient time allocated for your trip because there are many unexpected problems that may occur during your trip and that you drive no more than 4 hours and then get a break.
- On your way, please ensure you have where to buy fuel in case is needed and ensure that you have sufficient fuel to reach first point on your way.
- Please ensure you have where to stay over night or eat in case your trip requires you to.
- Please take your time and rest between hours in which you drive.
- Please ensure you have at least one extra tire with you in case something goes wrong.