This RMD calculator calculates your Required Minimum Distribution factor and the amount for the current year which is applicable for people older than 70 ½ years. There is more information on this topic together with a distribution chart below the form.
How does this RMD calculator work?
This is a tool designed to help you figure out your Required Minimum Distribution factor and the amount for your individual withdrawal retirement account for the current year. Please note that the RMD is applicable for people older than 70 ½ years.
The variables considered in this calculation are:
- Previous Year-End Balance which is the balance of the retirement account at the end of the previous year (as of December 31st of year prior to distribution year).
- Your date of birth.
The algorithm of this RMD calculator performs the following steps:
- It first finds the age of the beneficiary;
- Then it divides the previous year end balance by the distribution factor given below. As it can be observed the distribution factor depends on the beneficiary’s age:
|Age in Years||Distribution factor||Age in Years||Distribution factor|
|70 (born after June 30th)||Not applicable||93||9.6|
|70 (born before July 1st)||27.4||94||9.1|
|91||10.8||115 and over||1.9|
The results displayed consist in these details:
- Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) value.
- Distribution factor corresponding the age.
- Current age of the beneficiary.
Example of a calculation
Assuming a retiree with a previous year retirement account balance of $100,000 born on May 17 1943, we will get these figures:
■ Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) value: $3,773.58;
■ Distribution factor: 26.50;
■ Current age: 71 years.