This gravel calculator allows you to plan for your construction materials with all kinds of garden measurements in either English or metric. Below the form you can find an example result and more on this subject.
How does this gravel calculator work?
This is a home calculator that proves to be useful when you need help with your construction plans or landscaping or even with all kinds or garden measurements. It works both in Metric and English measurements so you don’t need to worry about any transformations.
The gravel calculator takes account of the following data that should be provided:
- length of the space/shape expressed either in meters, feet, inches or yards;
- width of the space/shape expressed either in meters, feet, inches or yards;
- depth of the space/shape expressed either in centimeters, inches or feet.
The steps for the gravel calculation are:
1. Estimation of the space area by applying the area formula (width *length)
2. Estimation of the space volume by applying the volume formula (width *length*depth)
3. Estimation of the total gravel mass needed either in tons or kilograms, by transforming the volume as follows:
Metric - tons:
- 1 cubic feet = 0.0520833333 tons
- 1 cubic yard = 1.388888888 tons
- 1 cubic meter = 1.8365 tons
English - lbs:
- 1 cubic feet = 114.823958333 lbs
- 1 cubic yard = 3105.0985915 lbs
- 1 cubic meter = 4048.789445 lbs
4. Estimation of the total number of bags required by dividing the total gravel mass required to bags units.
Metric - bags:
- for bags of 50 kg each it divides the number of tons to 0.05.
- for bags of 80 kg each it divides the number of tons to 0.08.
- for bags of 100 kg each it divides the number of tons to 0.1.
- for bulk bags of 850 kg each it divides the number of tons to 0.85.
English - bags:
- for bags of 50 lbs it divides the number of lbs to 50.
- for bags of 75 lbs it divides the number of lbs to 75.
- for bags of 100 lbs it divides the number of lbs to 100.
- for bulk bags of 3000 lbs it divides the number of lbs to 3000.
Space length = 23 feet
Space width = 14 feet
Space/gravel depth = 18 inches
- Area estimation:
Area in square meters = 98.146 m2
Area in square foot = 1,056.429 ft2
Area in square yards = 117.381 yd2
- Volume estimation:
Volume in cubic meters = 44.872 m3
Volume in cubic foot = 3,465.982 ft3
Volume in cubic yards = 128.37 yd3
- Total gravel mass estimation:
Total required gravel mass in tons = 82.408 tons
Total required gravel mass in lbs = 181,677.745 lbs
- Metric gravel bags estimation:
Total no. of 50 kg bags needed = 1,649 bags
Total no. of 80 kg bags needed = 1,031 bags
Total no. of 100 kg bags needed = 825 bags
Total no. of 850 kg bulk bags needed = 97 bags
- English gravel bags estimation:
Total no. of 50 lbs bags needed = 3,634 bags
Total no. of 75 lbs bags needed = 2,423 bags
Total no. of 100 lbs bags needed = 1,817 bags
Total no. of 3000 lbs bulk bags needed = 61 bags
What is gravel?
This is a frequently used landscaping material that is composed of small rock particles of different sizes and shades of grey. It can vary from granular to boulder sized. It is also sub-categorized by the Udden-Wentworth scale into:
- granular gravel (>2 to 4 mm or 0.079 to 0.157 in)
- pebble gravel (>4 to 64 mm or 0.2 to 2.5 in).
Gravel is used for roadways is areas with little traffic. In combination to sand is used to create concrete. The U.S. is the main producer of gravel since 2006. There are multiple types of gravel with different properties and uses:
- Crushed stone
- Creek rock
Where is gravel found?
You can find in river beds and stream gulches but you can use it to create a gravel garden as there are many types of plants that can be accommodated in such environment.25 Mar, 2015